Parents and Friends
Parent involvement makes a significant statement about the importance of education, reinforces the values of our school, and benefits all of the members of our community.
Parent participation is at the core of the school and is included in our mission statement and abiding values. Parent involvement makes a significant statement about the importance of education, reinforces the values of our school, and benefits all of the members of our community. The membership of the Parent and Friends Committee (PFC) at Arrahman College reflects each area of the school and aims to include parents to represent the nationalities and languages of the families in our community. To be a member of the committee, all that you need is a sense of commitment and a capacity to contribute to the benefit of the school community.
Educational research on the involvement of parents in schools shows that children achieve higher levels when parents and teachers work together.
Arrahman College is now calling for applications for membership in the PFC.
Parents who have a child or children currently enrolled at the College may nominate themselves or other parents who have a child or children enrolled at the College for membership of the PFC using the Arrahman College Nominations Form.
Applications will be reviewed by the Board and College Principal, in conjunction with the general teaching staff of Arrahman College. Applicants will be shortlisted for interviews with the College Principal.
Following the interviews, the Principal will endorse applicants for appointment to the committee and for committee office bearer roles, for Board approval at the 2023 Board meetings.
Appointments will be made for a two-year period, and maybe be renewed for additional two-year periods.
Parents Committee appointments will be announced in the Arrahman College newsletters.
Please contact our administration office for more information.
The PFC is the structure through which parents/guardians at Arrahman College work together for the best possible education for their children.
The PFC should:
- Work with the members of the School Management Team to build effective partnerships between home and school.
- Advise the School Management Team of parents’ views on policy issues and incidents that may require a review of school policy, e.g., Bullying, Safety, Homework, Enrolment, Behaviour problems, etc.
- Suggest and/or help to organise extra-curricular activities with the approval of the School Management.
- Provide support for parents in the school.
- Seek out opportunities to assist parents who are experiencing barriers to their involvement, or who find involvement difficult, even intimidating, e.g., due to education, social class, language, recent immigration, newness to the system, etc.
- Suggest and help to organise events for speakers to address the parents on issues that are topical or relevant. Support, encourage, and facilitate meaningful parental participation in the education of their children